07 February 2000

I Too Can Love

Dear Jack,

A poem I wrote once:

Love, some say is for those who are beautiful--
Their bodies lay together in their lover’s arms,
And they hold the passion between their lips,
And their hearts between their hips.

Love, some say is for those who have suffered--
Their tears pour out on their lover’s shoulder,
And they wipe their eyes with their hands,
And their fears are carried on the cuff.

Love, some say is for those who are dreamers--
Their minds mingle in their lover’s soul,
And they dance in the alcove of their lover’s heart,
And their romance lasts but the course of the night.

I too can love, though my dreams lie entwined with my sorrow.
I too can love, though my sorrow grows in self pity over beauty.
I too can love, though my beauty feels only to be in the soul.

I too can love, for in my soul ...
In my soul ... in my soul
My Spirit begins to bud into the beauty that only
Those who dream and suffer can see.

And in this dream of beauty, do I my tears release,
And the love of my heart can escape beyond mere words.
And my lover can rest in my tear-soaked arms, as I do in His

No comments: