29 June 2009

Too Much Pride

Dear Jack,

This weekend was Pride in NYC. It was the 40th Anniversary of the Stonewall Riots. I organized IntegrityNYC's marching contingency. This meant that I assisted St. Luke in the Fields with the Eucharist on the street, then marshaled the volunteers who held the IntegrityNYC banner.

Our friend Neil came down from Rochester-ways to attend. It has been great having a guest in the house. On Saturday we had some friends over for dinner. It was nothing special, just some pasta, salad, and fruit compote. All in all it was a good night.

Pride Day was busy. I arrived at St. Luke's at 9:15am. The trolley they wanted was unavailable, and instead, a greyhound-like bus pulled up. We were supposed to kick-off at 12:30, but we didn't actually step off till 1:30ish. By 5:30 we were at the end. The weather was BEAUTIFUL. It was probably the best pride march I've been in. Midway on down, we picked up Bishop Gene Robinson who was visiting the Presbyterians at 5th Ave Presbyterian Church.

After the parade, we rushed to St. Luke's for the Evensong and picnic. The sermon was very life-affirming, given by a priest from Long Island. Bishop Andrew St. John and Bishop Gene Robinson were also there.

We had dinner with Mike M. and Demetrius at Cowgirls.

My friend Neil's blog has some good pictures: "Marching With Episcopalians" & "And More...Down Christopher Street"

You'll note the good picture of me and Bishop Robinson that Neil took.

Anyways in all the excitement, I've injured my ankle, and find it troublesome to walk. I even called in sick today as a result, and spent most of the day with my foot propped up and a pad on it.

No comments: