31 May 1999

Amsterdam Stop

Dear Jack,

[transcribed from handwritten journal. links have been added for enhancement.]


Our plane landed safely in Luchthaven Schiphol in Amsterdam at 8:30am. We only had to circle it for half of an hour.

From the airport we rode a train to the central station. It wasn't that easy because we had to switch trains (Treinen) twice, for he original track was obstructed. The girls in our group gawked at the Dutch guys and dreamed that they liked them (Middle Schoolers are s funny). In Amsterdam, we walked to the Anne Frank Huis. Heere we waited for a long time in line. The girls left to get some food. The guys had to wait. The guys include David, J.P., Daniel, Robbie, and Thomas (the trouble maker). The worst behaved girl was Heather. When we neared the entrance, the girls showed up and came in with us.

The Anne Frank house looked like it was being renovated. The most striking feature of their hiding place was the seep stairs, although the rest of the building had steep stairs also. I was not really impressed with the exhibit...about as much as I was with Anne Frank's journal. I like Corrie ten Boom better, and I wish I could have gone to Haarlem to see that place instead.

From there we walked to Hard Rock Cafe, or were supposed to do so. Mrs. Fulford really did not know where it was. She said it must have moved. ON the way there, we lost Ms. Hanson, Heather and some girl with a lot f makeup. Mrs. F. went crazy but tried to stay calm. We traced our steps to the square, but did not find them. Due to a loss of time, we went back to the Central Station in the hope that they would get there too at 2pm when our train was to leave.

Mrs. H. and the girls meanwhile had gone to the real Hard Rock and rode a bus-tran to the station. They were a little shook up, but they had gone to Hard Rock. We nearly missed our bus [sic, supposed to be train]. The station had screwed up which line we were supposed to ride, and we racedf rom track to track.

Back at the airport (3pm) the guy s were allowed to get some food. Daniel  Joy, and I went to Burger King. I only had a milk shake (banana).

Our plane was at Gate B6, but we had to ride a small bus to the small plane...with propellers. KLM was the name of the company. I sat in seat 10D by the window below the wing and propeller. We flew fairly close to the ground to Maastricht. It took 30 minutes. I slept. At the airport our families were waiting for us.

Heiko (my exchange brother) is very tall, and his father has a beard. We took JP and Jewe (his exchange brother) home. We rode in a Russian car. The speaker started to catch fire. Luckily it was fixable. Jewe and Heiko live in a communal house. That is there are several houses around a court yard all in the same style and connected.

Heiko had a special engagement to be at at 7. Mrs. Seimen took him. Herr Siemen and I went to Jewe's house for dinner. Jewe's parents are Monica and Gerd. Monica made spaghetti. I was offered bier and champagne since I am over 16, but I turned it down and drank Apfelsaft instead. They have a dog with cataracts named Gypsy. Their house is decorated with a lot of blue. The food was good and 5ll3 (Mr. S.) made pudding. It was not as sweet as I am used to. Afterwords, we went home, and I went to the bathroom.

No comments: