Dear Jack,
[Transcribed from handwritten journal. Links added to enhance].
Today I went to school and from there we (the Americans) walked to a bus stop. We rode a bus to Aachen Center. There we met Frau Martens. She took us on a tour of Aachen Center. The Aachen cathedral or Dom is very pretty and decorated with mosaics. I tasted some sulfur water at the Baths. It stuck horribly, and when I burped, I re-tasted it.
We returned to the square where a market was going on and broke up into groups. Joy and I went with the adults. We ate at the Golden Schwan. I ordered the house pizza. It was really good. Frau Martens fought Mrs. Fulford to let Joy and I walk alone... since we were both adults in Germany. I was shocked when Mrs. F. finally consented. Joy and I went shopping. I bought some books. When we returned to the center of town, it began to storm.
I was yelled at by Mrs. F. for using an umbrella because "it is a lightening rod". I wish she could find a different way of saying things rather than getting pissed and yelling. If she cannot be nice, I fear I will become rebellious.
Later today I went with Ute to the 10th grade graduation. It was not the formalist of things, but there was a lot of heart in it. Frau Martens said on a private time Mr.s F. cannot forbid us to drink and she gave us champagne with orange juice. It was sort of sour, and I drank very little. 1nn1 graduated 10th but she is going on to 11th so she did not get a diploma. From there we went home and I tried to call home, but no one answered.



No comments:
Post a Comment