Dear Jack,
So I left Conyers at 3 AM on Thursday the 26th. I drove through Greenville SC, Spartanburg SC, Charlotte NC, Durham NC, Richmond VA, Washington DC, Baltimore MD, Trenton NJ and arrived at the Lincoln tunnel at 6 PM. At 8PM (no kidding), I arrived in Manhattan. For those who don't know, the Lincoln tunnel is one of the connectors to Manhattan from New Jersey.
New Jersey, and I appologize to any from there, smells. It really had about six different disgusting odors. The U-Haul I used did not have a/c so I got to smell the countryside. I will have to say the two prettiest places I saw in my trip were Baltimore and Richmond. You really don't think of Richmond as a big town, but it seems pretty large.
So I arrived in Manhattan around 8PM, and promptly turned back on the ramp to re-enter the Lincoln Tunnel (by accident), luckily they let me turn around. Around 9PM I finally found a parking spot at the Seminary. For those who have not been to the seminary, it is a very prestine place among Chelsea in Manhattan. Chelsea seems like a pretty clean and safe neighborhood. I've only heard good things regarding it, including that Sam Waterston lives there along with other celebrities. It does appear to be affluent. It is also known as the gay district, which I find intriguing considering the seminary is located there with the current discussion going on in our church. It is as if I am taken from the backwoods (and no offense is meant to my wonderful friends in Clinton SC) and dropped into the Now of the times.
When I arrived, another student was also arriving (from Duluth MN) named Marta. Several returning students helped us both move in, and a lady named Melanie helped me with the U-Haul and getting it back to the U-Haul place.
Last night I went to sleep early, and today I unpacked. I ate an inexpensive but good meal at Frank's Deli down the street. Other than that, I've met several people who are either new or returning. Rick, my neighbor, appears to be in his late forties or so and is first year like myself. He is from New Jersey. I think he is single, as he's in a one room apartment like myself. Marta, also appearing to be single, maybe a divorce or widow as she has a teenage daughter, has an apartment flat the floor above Rick and me. Other than that, I've seen very few people around... some professors, I did meat the dean in his housecoat as he let his cat out for the morning. Well I am going to go for now. Tomorrow the Cable and Internet people arrive to get things hooked up. Hopefully my computer will arive then too (I'm using the commuter computer by the mail room.
So I left Conyers at 3 AM on Thursday the 26th. I drove through Greenville SC, Spartanburg SC, Charlotte NC, Durham NC, Richmond VA, Washington DC, Baltimore MD, Trenton NJ and arrived at the Lincoln tunnel at 6 PM. At 8PM (no kidding), I arrived in Manhattan. For those who don't know, the Lincoln tunnel is one of the connectors to Manhattan from New Jersey.
New Jersey, and I appologize to any from there, smells. It really had about six different disgusting odors. The U-Haul I used did not have a/c so I got to smell the countryside. I will have to say the two prettiest places I saw in my trip were Baltimore and Richmond. You really don't think of Richmond as a big town, but it seems pretty large.
So I arrived in Manhattan around 8PM, and promptly turned back on the ramp to re-enter the Lincoln Tunnel (by accident), luckily they let me turn around. Around 9PM I finally found a parking spot at the Seminary. For those who have not been to the seminary, it is a very prestine place among Chelsea in Manhattan. Chelsea seems like a pretty clean and safe neighborhood. I've only heard good things regarding it, including that Sam Waterston lives there along with other celebrities. It does appear to be affluent. It is also known as the gay district, which I find intriguing considering the seminary is located there with the current discussion going on in our church. It is as if I am taken from the backwoods (and no offense is meant to my wonderful friends in Clinton SC) and dropped into the Now of the times.
When I arrived, another student was also arriving (from Duluth MN) named Marta. Several returning students helped us both move in, and a lady named Melanie helped me with the U-Haul and getting it back to the U-Haul place.
Last night I went to sleep early, and today I unpacked. I ate an inexpensive but good meal at Frank's Deli down the street. Other than that, I've met several people who are either new or returning. Rick, my neighbor, appears to be in his late forties or so and is first year like myself. He is from New Jersey. I think he is single, as he's in a one room apartment like myself. Marta, also appearing to be single, maybe a divorce or widow as she has a teenage daughter, has an apartment flat the floor above Rick and me. Other than that, I've seen very few people around... some professors, I did meat the dean in his housecoat as he let his cat out for the morning. Well I am going to go for now. Tomorrow the Cable and Internet people arrive to get things hooked up. Hopefully my computer will arive then too (I'm using the commuter computer by the mail room.



No comments:
Post a Comment