This week has been Orientation. We've been introduced to all of the faculty and staff, been oriented in academics, money, the seminary, the community, and the chapel. We have Chapel two times a day, and in the normal year will have it three times a day. David Hurd is the Organist and director of Church Music. We do a lot of music which he has composed, and that is a real treat. On Friday I'm auditioning for the Schola, the Seminary's choir.
This Sunday I attended Holy Apostles' Episcopal Church. The Anglican Observer to the UN was the guest preacher. She gave a wonderful sermon.
The Republican National Convention has been here this entire week. The results have been blocked streets, police officers on every corner (three or four of them), and a decreased amount of New Yorkers (800,000 left NYC). Jay Leno put it this way, "A plane flies into two buildings... New Yorkers stay. The terrorist threat goes to Red... New Yorkers stay. The Republican National Convention comes, New Yorkers run for the hills."
There have also been a lot of protestors. The ones that I thought were the most original were a group of cyclists. The wore tri-cornered hats, and put paper-mache horse heads on their handlebars. The drove in a group through the city screaming "The Republicans are Coming! The Republicans are Coming!" The strangest group I saw was "Jazzercize Against Bush". This group jazzercized as they walked in a group around Mid Town.
On Wednesday several of the Seminarians were given FREE tickets to see "The Phantom of the Opera" It was pretty good, but I thought that the story itself was very predictable. It was cool to see where the familiar music went in the story line.
Today I met up with my Russian friends from Kanuga: Pavel, Jenye, Igor', and Vova. They were in NYC for the past few days, so we met to do lunch. It was cool to see people I knew in the Square. We had an English Tea here with the Faculty. I got the opportunity to try Armantilldo Sherry. I felt very Poe-ish.
My computer came in, and I am now rehabilitating myself as I am able to check E-Mail, do my journaling, and talk with my friends. I've decided to name the computer, Genedell.
The people here are pretty cool. I feel like I am developing friendships, especially with Tim, Greg, Megan, Susan, Matthew, Chip, and a few others. I hope to make even more friends as time goes on. I find myself sort of turtle-shelling, but I'm opening up pretty quickly. Phantom helped, and the wonderful people here are the best help.
Well that's all for now.
This Sunday I attended Holy Apostles' Episcopal Church. The Anglican Observer to the UN was the guest preacher. She gave a wonderful sermon.
The Republican National Convention has been here this entire week. The results have been blocked streets, police officers on every corner (three or four of them), and a decreased amount of New Yorkers (800,000 left NYC). Jay Leno put it this way, "A plane flies into two buildings... New Yorkers stay. The terrorist threat goes to Red... New Yorkers stay. The Republican National Convention comes, New Yorkers run for the hills."
There have also been a lot of protestors. The ones that I thought were the most original were a group of cyclists. The wore tri-cornered hats, and put paper-mache horse heads on their handlebars. The drove in a group through the city screaming "The Republicans are Coming! The Republicans are Coming!" The strangest group I saw was "Jazzercize Against Bush". This group jazzercized as they walked in a group around Mid Town.
On Wednesday several of the Seminarians were given FREE tickets to see "The Phantom of the Opera" It was pretty good, but I thought that the story itself was very predictable. It was cool to see where the familiar music went in the story line.
Today I met up with my Russian friends from Kanuga: Pavel, Jenye, Igor', and Vova. They were in NYC for the past few days, so we met to do lunch. It was cool to see people I knew in the Square. We had an English Tea here with the Faculty. I got the opportunity to try Armantilldo Sherry. I felt very Poe-ish.
My computer came in, and I am now rehabilitating myself as I am able to check E-Mail, do my journaling, and talk with my friends. I've decided to name the computer, Genedell.
The people here are pretty cool. I feel like I am developing friendships, especially with Tim, Greg, Megan, Susan, Matthew, Chip, and a few others. I hope to make even more friends as time goes on. I find myself sort of turtle-shelling, but I'm opening up pretty quickly. Phantom helped, and the wonderful people here are the best help.
Well that's all for now.



No comments:
Post a Comment