20 May 2004

Big Fish and Troy

Dear Jack,

So let's see... Last night I watched Big Fish with Mom. It was pretty good, but very random... which is to be expected from Burton. I liked it, especially Ewan McGreggor, the hottie of the week in my book-- well till he got dethroned this afternoon. Yes, this afternoon I went to see Troy. I shall now take this time to preach.

:: preaching voice :: Please do not think me too bold in saying, leave your brats at home when you go to a movie based on war. Having babies and toddlers watch a naked Brad Pitt kill fifty men in single hand combat is not something they should be watching at that age. In addition to subjecting kids to a PG-13/R level movie who are under 2 years old, they tend to get restless and whiny, and CRY. This takes away from the viewing enjoyment for the poor saps around you. I understand you couldn't find a freaking babysitter... wait till it comes out in the movie store... don't subject us to your bad luck and the spreading of your legs. :: OK TOO HARSH I KNOW ::

Almost as bad as having a kid cry throughout the movie was having this elderly couple and their gay black friend talk the entire time. The elderly woman... who reminds me of my friend Joy's mother, Wanda... felt she needed to ask who each person was three or four times each time they appeared on screen. I know there are a lot of major characters played by a lot of major actors, but this is not Cinema 101. This is a presentation with an audience. The black man who accompanied the old couple was obviously gay, as he and the old white woman kept commenting on how nice Brad Pitt's arms and ass were. Yes... there is a lot of Brad Pitt shown in the movie. Yes, he is definitely hot and I would die if ever I met him... but still. SHUT UP and watch in silence. It takes away from fantasizing when there are old people talking. GRRRRR.

About the movie... It was well presented, however I do not know how accurate it was based on the literature of the time about it. I did think they had a hard time trying to present it in the wake of Lord of the Rings. One only needs to realize that what happened in Troy actually happened whereas Mordor did not. I will complain that they could have developed some characters a little fuller. Hector was probably the most developed, then Achilies. Paris and Helen were not very well developed. The King of Troy... yeah he was good role placement. I think, but am not sure that he is the same guy who was Edward Longshankes. Boromir and Legollas make appearances in the movie of course -- I guess poor Orlando will always be put behind a bow. The dude playing Boromir plays King Odysseus. I also thought that any CGI was very well hidden and believable.

Oh.. last complaint. The damned movie theatre stopped the damn film before the credits!!! I was very upset. I actually complained. They gave me the excuses, "the projector must have got too hot." There are two projectors used, and besides that the movie was not so long that that could happen. Just tell me you didn't think it was important, or you messed up... don't lie to me.

After the movie, I went to Shoe Carnival and had a blast. I bought three pairs of shoes, all Sketchers. I got a dressy shoe, sandals, and some dark workshoes/casual shoes. I then came home and fixed some steaks for my dad and I. I also decided to try a low carb pudding I found at Kroger. It was pretty good.

No comments: