17 October 2004

Saint Francis and Home

Dear Jack,

Since my last post I've attended church at Saint John the Divine Cathedral for the Saint Francis Day Festival. The festival began with liturgical dancing, and banners waving. The music utilized animal sounds, more dancers, choirs, and drums, incense, and rescue animals in procession. One of the most striking features in my mind was the Kyrie which began with the howl of a timber wolf, then a cantor began to intone "kyrie" to the sound of what the had howled. The Sanctus began with humpback whale sounds and streamers waving. Then from the back came a tubular kite in the shape of a whale. The culmination of the service came with the opening of the huge bronze doors which let in another procession, this one comprised of camels, donkeys, horses, cows, owls, hawks, ducks, lizards, bees, even algae and a pet rock. The procession ended at the altar where they all gathered. Then the animals led the procession into the world, followed by the entire Cathedral. It was by far the most extravagant service I've seen so far.

I've begun making some good friends. The one who looks as if will be one of my best friends is a Georgian from Tallapoosa named Jason. He is at NYU and I hang out with him and his friends often. Shai, one of the crew, is a cantor at one of the local synagogues. In a way they are supplying an urban family.

Last weekend I went home to GA. My brother Kris recently returned from Iraq, and he and I were able to make it home at the same time. It was a shame that my other brothers could not make it. Joe was in town, but was apparently to busy to join us for much.

I will say for flying, the easiest thing to do is get e-tickets. Doing so afforded me a lot of extra time, as there was only one line I had to wait in... the security line. Otherwise I'd have to check in, and wait in that line.

I will mention that while in GA I was able to catch up with my friend Joy who has been dealing with a lot of stresses psychologically, recently. She seems to be doing well now.

Well that is all for now.

This coming week we have special lectures on Wednesday from a guest speaker, so classes are canceled. On Thursday we have Honorary Doctorate Commencement. I know we are giving four of them, all graduates of General. Although many of my parishioners at both St. Simon's and All Saints' may not be happy with one of the candidates, I am proud to announce that we will be giving a doctorate to Rt. Rev. Gene Robinson.

My next post I encourage all to read.

No comments: