I had a grand Easter weekend. Thursday I was on Altar Guild and got to witness Maundy Thursday at St. Luke's. We had Bp. Griswold visiting the parish, and he led the services for Triduum. After a foot washing, we had communion. Then the communion was placed in a ciborium and processed by the bishop to our chapel where it was placed in the Altar of Repose. From there we processed in silence to the gymnasium where a candlelight Agape dinner was prepared for us. We ate lentil/orange flavored soup, and then heard the final address of Jesus in the Gospel of John, before returning to the Nave and ritually stripping the altar.
Friday, we took it easy. I was intending to attend the Good Friday service, but chickened out because i knew it would be more Catholic than I felt comfortable with. I've never been much of a fan of the veneration of the cross. I won't stop others, but am not inclined to attend, myself.
Saturday I got to St. Luke's around 11, and was trained in Acolyting for the Easter Vigil. I then helped the Altar Guild with getting everything ready. After the work, a few of us went to Liederhosen and had sausages. Then we returned for the Vigil.
The Vigil was spectacular. I was the acolyte that carried the nails for the Paschal candle. I was nervous I'd drop a nail and never see it in the dark. It seemed to go without a hitch. Mtr. Stacey sang the Exultet beautifully, and I found myself able to worship. After the Vigil, there was a reception in the gymnasium with roast lamb and ham, deviled eggs, and a raspberry pastry.
The next day we ushered. Everyone kept on telling us that it would be so awful to usher, but I didn't find it too bad, and neither did Mike. I was also delighted to see the Easter bunny outside... it reminded me of the Vicar of Dibley.
Friday, we took it easy. I was intending to attend the Good Friday service, but chickened out because i knew it would be more Catholic than I felt comfortable with. I've never been much of a fan of the veneration of the cross. I won't stop others, but am not inclined to attend, myself.
Saturday I got to St. Luke's around 11, and was trained in Acolyting for the Easter Vigil. I then helped the Altar Guild with getting everything ready. After the work, a few of us went to Liederhosen and had sausages. Then we returned for the Vigil.
The Vigil was spectacular. I was the acolyte that carried the nails for the Paschal candle. I was nervous I'd drop a nail and never see it in the dark. It seemed to go without a hitch. Mtr. Stacey sang the Exultet beautifully, and I found myself able to worship. After the Vigil, there was a reception in the gymnasium with roast lamb and ham, deviled eggs, and a raspberry pastry.
The next day we ushered. Everyone kept on telling us that it would be so awful to usher, but I didn't find it too bad, and neither did Mike. I was also delighted to see the Easter bunny outside... it reminded me of the Vicar of Dibley.



No comments:
Post a Comment