28 April 2009

Eunuchs

Dear Jack,

I have mildly become obsessed with the nature of Eunuchs in the Bible. Jesus mentions in Matthew, that there are Eunuchs from Birth and differentiates them from Eunuchs that are created, and those who choose celibacy to glorify God. Some would say that Eunuchs from Birth may be hermaphrodites, but that is inconclusive. What is interesting is that various writers from the time refer to Eunuchs who are able to marry and pro-create (thus not created Eunuchs). These same Eunuchs are allegedly repulsed by the thought of sex with women, and some sources also show that they are inclined for sex with men. I found an in depth research paper by a gay Muslim on it. I found it interesting, and have come to the conclusion that Eunuchs from birth may just be the term for gay men used at that time of history. I recommend reading the paper above.

On a different note, I'm feeling sort of down in the dumps. So many things are going on in my immediate family that I am slightly overstressed by it. Not that there is anything I can do about the financial crisis and how it is effecting my parents. I hope this hurries up and is remedied soon. It scares me a little inside.

No comments: