Below are some of my favorite quotations. Some are notable, and some are mundane. As time goes on, I will be updating my quotations and re-posting this post to show the additions:
Go forth into the world in peace; be of good courage. Render to no one evil for evil; strengthen the faint-hearted; support the week; help the afflicted; honor all men; love and serve the Lord rejoicing in the power of the Holy Spirit; and the blessing of God almighty, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost be upon you and remain with you forever. Amen.BCP
We do not live for ourselves, and all our energy, all our gifts are directed to abundant life for the other.Right Reverend Duleep de Chickera, the Bishop of Colombo, 20 Jul 2008
No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own were: any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.John Donne, Devotions upon Emergent Occasions XVII, 1623
Ubi caritas et amor, Deus ibi est.Early Christian Hymn
Where there is charity and love, God is there
Few will have the greatness to bend history itself; but each of us can work to change a small portion of events, and in the total of all those acts will be written the history of this generation... It is from numberless diverse acts of courage and belief that human history is thus shaped. Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope, and crossing each other from a million different centers of energy and daring, those ripples build a current which can sweep down the mightiest walls of oppression and resistance.Robert F. Kennedy
Also, as truly as God is our Father, so as truly God is our Mother. And that he shows in all and namely in these sweet words, where he says, 'I it am'. That is to say, 'I it am, the might and goodness of Fatherhead; I it am, the wisdom and the kindness of Motherhood; I it am, the light and the grace, that is all blessed love; I it am, the Trinity; I it am, the Unity; I it am, the high sovereign goodness of all manner of things; I it am, that makes you to love; I it am, that makes you to long, the endless fullness of all true desires'"Also, as truly as God is our Father, so as truly God is our Mother. And that he shows in all and namely in these sweet words, where he says, 'I it am'. That is to say, 'I it am, the might and goodness of Fatherhead; I it am, the wisdom and the kindness of Motherhood; I it am, the light and the grace, that is all blessed love; I it am, the Trinity; I it am, the Unity; I it am, the high sovereign goodness of all manner of things; I it am, that makes you to love; I it am, that makes you to long, the endless fullness of all true desires'Julian of Norwich
There are those who insist the Holocaust never happened - who perpetrate every form of intolerance — racism, antisemitism, homophobia, xenophobia, sexism, and more — hatred that degrades its victim and diminishes us all. Today, and every day we have an opportunity, as well as an obligation to confront these scourges.President Barak Obama, 23 Apr 2009



No comments:
Post a Comment