Dear Jack,
I find myself amazed at the current escalation in the Muslim regions of the world over the cartoons published in Denmark. In the fall, a Danish newspaper decided to demonstrate in satire "intollerance" in the Islamic world. To do this, they had cartoonists draw some political, racy cartoons that not only depicted Islam in a less than shiny light. In addition, some cartoons included drawings of the Prophet Mohammud. In Islamic faith it is blasphemy to depict images of God or "God's Prophet".
I repeat the reason it was done was to emphasize the lack of tolleration in Islam. Within the past few weeks, several other newspapers in several other countries have republished the articles. France, Belgium, Yemen, Egypt, Germany, Sweden, New Zealand, Australia, and the US---not all European, but mostly. This appearently brought further attention to the articles. What has happened since may be a key point in our history.
Several nations have withdrawn their ambassadors from Denmark. The Government of Denmark was asked to apologize for the newspaper's publishing, and to infringe on the freedom of the Press to publish such cartoons. Denmark responded with saying the cartoons were out of taste, but that the government could not and would not infringe on Freedom of the Press. AMEN.
Throughout the world, violent protests have broken out. In Syria and Lebanon, Embassies were burned to the groud along with any Danish, US, Israeli (how they got dragged in is beyond me), French, German, Polish, British flag they could find. Iran has issued a ban on Danish goods. Threats are rising, and even today there is violent protest.
I scan the newspapers and read the blogs and news agencies online and find pictures of burning flags and buildings. I see signs saying "Was 9/11 not a good enough sign?" and "Remember 7/7" among "Denmark will see the real holocaust".
What gets me most, is that this is over cartoon depictions in a NON Muslim country for NON Muslims. I cannot deny they were in bad taste, but it is not like they were posting them on the door of a Mosque. Indeed one might consider the many anti-Jewish cartoons that have been and continue to be published in the Middle East depicting Jews as blood-sucking evil people trying to control the world. Yet one does not see Israel or the followers of Judaism burning flags, and rushing embassies, and declaring death threats on innocent civilians from those countries.
One need not even mention the plethra of horrific cartoons and "art" regarding Christianity. I remind you of the elephant crap madonna and child. I didn't see any war like threats issued from the Vatican then.
What disgusts me the most is the disregard of the moderate Muslims by the fundamentalists. I think a Muslim should be offended by the cartoons, yes. I do not think they should react in violence and hatred. Most Moderate Muslims, I've found, agree, as they are protesting both sides of the issues. A quintessential image that comes to mind is an image caught on camera for CNN of two Muslim clerics trying to stop the demonstrators, being stoned by their own people for speaking peace.
Things are out of control.
What surprises me the most is the lack of information I am finding on either the GOP or Democratic websites regarding this. One would think that at least one of the two parties would have an opinion. We get quotations by rumsfeld from German papers about Iran and AIEA, but nothing of the cartoons. I found a quotation from our President that was reported as if it were a side issue saying that it was wrong to do the pictures, but falling short of showing Solidarity for Denmark and the Freedom of the Press.
What I do not know is the future. The Governor of New Mexico spoke of the pivitol place we stand, with Iran not cooperating with AIEA and the UN or the EU, with a terroist involved in the USS Cole boming free, with the Hamas in Palestine--I fear there may be some larger altercation.
I have never called myself an enemy of Islam--in fact I am intrigued by it. But I am afraid of some of it's followers.
06 February 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment