Dear Jack,
Well I have been given my workstudy assignment. I am to sing for my supper. Litterally, they have a job here called Refectorian. The job of the refectorian is to check the names of people off when they come in to eat. Having done that, I get to ring a bell, and say, "The Lord be with you" to which they reply "And also with you." Then I say, "Let us pray" and then chant:
It's not a bad job. It pays $8 a each meal, and I get to do it at least three times a week.
In other news, classes continued today. They went smoothly, although I felt that they could have moved faster. Tonight we had our first Solemn Evensong. The difference between Evensong and Solemn Evensong appearently is in that the officiant is all fancily dressed in a cope, we've two acolytes, fancy candles, and inscense. Our regular Evensong consists of a processional of the faculty... this time they processed behind the incense. During the Magnificat we were all thruroughly incensed. Surprisingly, no one complained. Guess they know it would be to no avail.
I had acolyte training today too. The Juniors all get trained in acolyting and are the primary acolytes furing this year. Next year we move on to officiating at Morning Prayer and Evening Prayer. The final year we will preach, thurifer, and crucifer.
On another note, I made it into Schola, the seminary choir. It is directed by Dr. David Hurd who's music can be found in the various hymnals of the Church. It looks like it is going to be challenging at least. It consists of the singers of the seminary, as it appears none lacked in being able to read music.
All in all, I've had a pretty busy day.
This weekend I worshiped at the Chapel in the evening, trying to avoid the rush of 9/11 seekers at the services. I figure, it would be more meaningful to those here than to me who was not effected by the occurance.
Other than that, I've made a few good friends, and am happy to be slowly finding my niche.
Well I have been given my workstudy assignment. I am to sing for my supper. Litterally, they have a job here called Refectorian. The job of the refectorian is to check the names of people off when they come in to eat. Having done that, I get to ring a bell, and say, "The Lord be with you" to which they reply "And also with you." Then I say, "Let us pray" and then chant:
The eyes of all wait upon Thee, O Lord.
And thou givest them their meat in due season.
Thou openest Thy hand.
And fillest all things living with plenteousness.
Bless, O Lord, this food to your use
And us to Thy service
Through Jesus Christ, Our Lord.
Amen.
It's not a bad job. It pays $8 a each meal, and I get to do it at least three times a week.
In other news, classes continued today. They went smoothly, although I felt that they could have moved faster. Tonight we had our first Solemn Evensong. The difference between Evensong and Solemn Evensong appearently is in that the officiant is all fancily dressed in a cope, we've two acolytes, fancy candles, and inscense. Our regular Evensong consists of a processional of the faculty... this time they processed behind the incense. During the Magnificat we were all thruroughly incensed. Surprisingly, no one complained. Guess they know it would be to no avail.
I had acolyte training today too. The Juniors all get trained in acolyting and are the primary acolytes furing this year. Next year we move on to officiating at Morning Prayer and Evening Prayer. The final year we will preach, thurifer, and crucifer.
On another note, I made it into Schola, the seminary choir. It is directed by Dr. David Hurd who's music can be found in the various hymnals of the Church. It looks like it is going to be challenging at least. It consists of the singers of the seminary, as it appears none lacked in being able to read music.
All in all, I've had a pretty busy day.
This weekend I worshiped at the Chapel in the evening, trying to avoid the rush of 9/11 seekers at the services. I figure, it would be more meaningful to those here than to me who was not effected by the occurance.
Other than that, I've made a few good friends, and am happy to be slowly finding my niche.



No comments:
Post a Comment