08 September 2004

Smoke-Free Hogwarts

Dear Jack,

I had a great time last night. A group of us went to the local tavern and chatted. There is no smoking in public buildings in NYC, and I love it. After the initial hanging out time, I went with some of the ladies to Chelsea Commons and hung out there. We all agreed it was nice to have that time to get to know each other. I think I'm beginning to find my niche, or niches here at General. Chelsea Papaya is a great place to eat. If any of you come for a visit... we're going there. It is the NY version of WaHo... well 'cept all they serve are hotdogs, fries, and drinks. It is open all night and is ideal for the midnight-snack run. After the bar hopping, we ended up there. Hotdogs are good food for snacks...and they taste different up here for some reason. I think it's the atmosphere. It's sort of like how Bacon, Egg and Cheese sandwiches never taste as good as at Waffle House.

I hiked up to Time Square. Turns out it's only about a 25 minute walk. I plan on walking whenever I can instead of using the subway. I am determined to loose that last annoying 20 pounds. The food here isn't too bad, not a lot of choices per meal, but the quality is fairly decent (I'm referring to the Refectory). We eat in a place sort of like the Great Hall from Hogwarts... stairwell and pictures included. We don't have owls delivering mail, but we do have pigeons popping their heads in the windows and flying around.

In a way, with us all new here, it does feel like we are entering Hogwarts, and will be trained in the priesthood rather than wizardry. I am sure there are some who would be upset by such a comparison, but I mean it in all jovial jest.

Well that's all for now.

1 comment:

William said...

I completely understand. If I went to seminary, I'd probably feel a bit like a Hogwarts student. Just a bit. I just shrink from calling transubstantiation a magic trick. Of course, I know you didn't mean it that way. I hope you continue to have a great time! Your friend, William