22 September 2004

Fall Retreat

Dear Jack,

Well this past weekend was a retreat weekend. All of the first year students and the second year students were taken to Trinity Conference Center. It was a long and winding trip into Connecticut. A few people got sick on the way. The place was very quaint, but I have indeed been spoiled by Camp Mikell and Kanuga. It did have a northern charm to it, which was very relaxing. We had small group time, keynote time, and a lot of social and free time. The town, West Cornwall, in which Trinity Conferences is located, is a very nice place. It was very reminiscent of the town from The Dark Secret of Harvest Home. For those who know that the film was made in Kingsville, OH, one can get a sense of what the town was like.

The trip was a very nice one, and was a good chance to build friendships among the students. I think I am beginning to really find my niche here. The return ride had more people sick due to the whinding roads.

On Monday there were classes, and I was able to finally get my bank account set up. Tuesday was the easiest school day I've had. Due to the lack of musical knowledge by many here, Church Music on Tuesdays is for those who cannot read music, so I have only one class on Tuesdays now. I decided to do some town exploring. I set up insurance and did some shopping for household needs. I also ate lunch at Monster Sushi. I found it rather satisfying. I then met up with Clair and Meghan at another sushi restaurant down the road where we chatted for a while. Back at the Close, I went to check my email and fell asleep. It felt like a wasted day when I awoke. We had a Solemn Mass for the Feast of St. Matthew, ate a mediocre dinner, and then had a Community Forum. The Community Forum was the place to discuss our ideas and concerns for the community of GTS. It seemed to go smoothly. Afterwards I went with Stephen and later Matthew to Rite Aide and Gristides (grocery store), respectively. Upon returning with laundry detergent and cleaners, I met a group of people who were going out for some drinks and some light food. I went with them. We went to Dallas Bar-B-Que on 8th Ave. The wings were pretty tasty, and the prices weren't bad. The only scary thing I saw was the "Onion Loaf". It resembled a bunt cake, only made out of deep-fried onion rings stuck to each other. Anything with the title "loaf" should be changed unless it refers to bread. It was not an onion bread like I thought.

Today looks like it will be another normal day, but this weekend should be fun. I hope to finally get stuff I need for my room, as my funding has finally processed. Things are looking up even more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

(January 11, 2006 2:57 PM - Transcribed from Old Blog)

I know that this is an old thread, but I just had to mention that I'm from Kingsville, OH and was at the filming of The Dark Secret of Harvest Home in 1978. I was 8 years old at the time. It was a huge production for our little town.