21 July 2003

The Castle

Dear Jack,

Our first classes were today. I am the only male in both of them other than the professors. Neither seemed all that bad, and I look forward to both in the future. Lunch was ham--yuck, and dinner was pork loin---ugh. We toured the Bodeline library today. Our guide wasn't great, as he kept saying "umm" every other word.... if not more. After supper, a group of us toured the pubs. The first was called The Bear. It is the oldest pub in
Oxford dating back to the 1200's. We then went to the Hobgoblin. Finally we went to a pub called the Castle. Turned out it was a gay bar. I knew it was gay from the flag outside, but a few of the guys didn't notice. I think I am with people who are blind and unobservant. You would have assumed that there was a fire in the building from observing how quickly Drew W. ran out the door. He was rather vocal in not liking the place, which sort of pissed me off. I didn't say anything though. It does aggravate me how I am expected to participate in "straight" bars, but not a damned one of them can go to a gay one with me. I want to go back, if I can find some to go with me. Grace M., Ali R., and Buz W. have agreed to go back in the future... oh and Betsy M. too. I did my reading on CL in Mere Christianity. I haven't much to say about it, although it was rather easy to read, and helpful in places. He seems very sex-rolled and I am sure I'll hear something about it tomorrow--that and how horrid the bar was.

No comments: