Dear Jack,
Today I woke up at the youth hostel in London. I slept well. Breakfast was toast--a little disappointing. We then set out to find the blue door from Notting Hill. Notting Hill is a damned large borough, so I did not look forward to this very girly-thought-up idea. Luckily we learned that the door had been sold so we didn't' have to look for it. We ended up hiking to Portobello Road. I t was very pretty, and a good walk. We did find a blue door, and did take a picture in front of it, just in case. From there we took a bus to Hyde Park. We began to walk towards Buckingham Palace. They decided they wanted to walk in the park to get there. I told them that it would be out of the way. Then Buz, not believing me asked an attendant at one of the hotels. He said that the way I had said was the correct way. Then he said, "You want to stay away from the park---full of fagots and lesbians right now." That was too much...so I left them. I know I shouldn't be insulted by the fact that they asked directions...even though I was proven right, and even though we weren't lost when they asked...but I didn't need to hear the attendant say that. Guess what...I didn't find a damned gay guy or lesbian. Just me.
I ran across the group again at Wellington Arch. They didn't know which way to go, so I pointed them in the right direction, and they promptly took off in the opposite. I stopped into a cafe to pick up a water. Eventually they got there too. I then led them to Buckingham Palace for the changing of the guard. I left to go to Westminster Abbey for mass. It was beautiful. I sat above Benjamin Britten. The sermon wasn't too shabby either. From there I hopped the Tube to the British Museum and ran into the group again there. I said hi, and stayed out to get a hotdog. It was Moroccan, and very tasty. I then toured the museum. T here was a lot of Greco-Roman pieces. I got to see the Rosetta Stone, and a lot of mummies from Egypt... including Cleopatra. I very much enjoyed that leg of the trip.
I then headed to Paddington Station and hopped a train to Oxford. I felt very independent and free. And I was inconspicuous rather than being in a large feminine-loud group.
CS Lewis and Tolkien and their group did not include women. I think I know why. Their ears would explode. Furthermore it seems that women tend to pick the dumbest things to look at... like blue doors seen in second rate romance comedies with Hugh Grant. Furthermore, they do not necessarily have the idea of common courtesy of being quiet whilst others are trying to rest.
The train ride to Oxford was good, I slept. I came back and ran into Jacob H. I then met up with the people who did not stay the night in London and we went to a gourmet pizza place where I ordered a breakfast pizza with English bacon, sausage, tomatoes (toe-MATT-toes), mushrooms, and eggs (free ranged) with a side of black pudding. All yummy... excluding the obvious pig blood. We walked back to C. C. C. and I began my journaling.
No comments:
Post a Comment