23 July 2003

Salisbury Cathedral

Dear Jack,

We woke up a bit early and headed to Stonehenge and Salisbury Cathedral today. The bus trip wasn't too bad, as I slept most of the way. Stonehenge seemed smaller or less monumental than I had supposed it to, plus it smelled of sheep shit. Holly H., Alyson D., Marie M., Ali, and I decided that "sheep shit" is a phrase one cannot say five times fast. From Stonehenge, we rode to Salisbury. The Cathedral was gorgeous on the outside. The inside looked as if it was undergoing some renovation. Our tour guide was the same one from the Oxford Tour. She was rather condescending and somewhat rude. We stopped at every damned tomb in the grave, where she pointed out oddities. After the sixth tomb, I felt like I wanted to escape, and had I known I could have, I would have. I enjoy looking at the altars, and the windows, and the choir. I don't give a bullocks for tombs unless they are for famous people (speaking of which, I forgot to mention that we saw Charles William's grave and the guy who did Wind in the Willows grave yesterday). The tour guide asked us if we knew that there were kings and queens in England. I felt like she thought we were dumbasses. Eventually when we got to the Charter House which housed vessels and the Magna Carta, we were freed to go on our own. I left with a group for lunch. We stopped at "The Old Pub" for lunch where I had fish and chips with a Pimms. Then the group sort of broke up. I ended up wandering Salisbury alone.

No one knows how much I fear and hate being alone. Few ever will. I am often scared when I am alone and thus I leave my door open hoping someone will come in and save me. It doesn't happen often. Near the end of the time in Salisbury I ran across William. We went to a booksellers, and found a book called Bored of the Rings which was a satire of The Lord of the Rings. We couldn't help but purchase it for Dr. Hobbie.

Back at C. C. C., all went to bed, or if other stuff went on, no one thought of me to join them. I went to sleep so as to not focus on a feeling of loneliness that suffused my room.

No comments: