MARTHA'S PRAYER
_________________________
Matthew 5:43-48 (NRSV)
[Jesus said,] "You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be children of your Father in heaven; for he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the righteous and on the unrighteous. For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? And if you greet only your brothers and sisters, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect."
_________________________
A gentle answer turns away wrath.
- Proverbs 15:1 (NIV)
_________________________
My boss was becoming more hateful every day. Many nights I left the office in tears. One evening, I asked my prayer group to join me in praying for God to change my boss into a kind person. Martha surprised me by saying, "I can't pray that prayer. But I will pray for you to love her just as she is."
I wanted to argue that she didn't understand how mean my boss was. But I agreed, weakly, to pray as she had said she would. Though I dreaded going to work the next day, my heart felt lighter than it had in many months.
God answered our prayers and gave me the grace to love my boss. We never became close friends, but as my responses toward her became gentler and warmer, she began to tell me about some of her personal struggles. Months later when she was transferred, many sighed with relief; but I felt sadness. The unbelievable had happened! God had helped me love someone I found unlovable.
Since that experience I have prayed Martha's prayer many times about other people. I will forever be grateful to her for teaching me that God works the change in me first; then my example may cause others to change.
PRAYER:
God, show us how to love the unlovely today. Help us to love others as you love them - just as they are. Amen.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
For whom do I need to pray Martha's prayer?
-- Gerrie Grimsley (Tennessee, U.S.A.)
PRAYER FOCUS:
Those with difficult bosses
SOURCE Upper Room E-Mail Devotionals, c/o Tommy



No comments:
Post a Comment