24 January 2006

The New World Review

Dear Jack,

Here's my review of The New World:

I just got back from this movie. I liked it and Michael did not. The worst part of the movie is the length and lack of editorial skills by the Editor. It dragged on for two and a half hours to tell a story that could have been done in an hour and a half if not less.

Although it was very historically correct, it lacked the ability to engage the audience into caring about it.

I am uncertain why, but they never mention the name Pocahontas except in the ending credits. Neither do they mention John Rolfe, although he is one of the main figures. The only clearly named person was John Smith. The rest of the characters were left to those who knew the story to begin with. If you are unfamiliar with the Virginia colony, you will be completely lost as to who the people are.

What is sad about this movie, is that being so long and so unengaging, the masses will not like it. In fact, as the final credits appeared, the audience let out a sigh of relief that the movie was over.
Colin Ferrel did a decent job, although his character was never really developed, and he spent most of his time looking confused--one could make a connection between him and Russell Crowe and some of his movies.

The actress who played Pocohantas (I'm sorry, but I'm just too lazy to look it up) was exceptional. I only wish the movie were up to par with her acting.

James Horner should be shot for his atrocious sound track which consisted mostly of a chord building upon itself with French Horns to make noise.

If you are able to sit through long movies, with minimal changes in view, and minimal engagement you may like it. I did, but I have a special place in my heart for Colin and for Colonial America.

No comments: