06 August 2003

Congratulations Robinson

Dear Jack,

Today I woke up and took a shower as usual. I went to chapel and then to breakfast. I ate some cereal and a roll. I then went and checked my email. I learned this morning that Canon Gene Robinson has been officially accepted as the bishop elect of the Diocese of New Hampshire. I think this is momentous. I do not fear my own place in the Church. Yet I do recognize that there may be possible backlash with this approval. I pray that God will have mercy on all of us and will work through the fractioning of this body so that we may be resurrected anew and continue to feed His sheep. I know there is so much anger felt on the side that was conservative. I hope there is understanding and a willingness for reconciliation. That brings me to something that I think is paramount in our lives. Reconciliation. I want to revive it. I see so many places where it would be helpful for us to be in dialogs over this forgotten sacrament. In PC alone there is need for reconciliation among peers, as with any place. Yet there is also the need among varying groups such as COW and WF. I hear great things coming from the chaplain's office and hope that God will work through them.

This brings me to thinking about the life of Spectrum in the coming year. I am not an officer, and am unsure who our officers are... Grey Brooks I think. The best thing I think that we could do would be to move Spectrum under the Chaplain's office. Right now there is need of reconciliation for closeted gays and lesbians. And I know there are a few at PC. Statistically there are more than would ever come out even after leaving PC. Still there is a fear among them, I'm sure, of what and who they are. There needs to be a place of security where they can come and speak with non-judging people about this. I know that would have been helpful for myself. Yet there is not a place that is known universally on the campus. I think Spectrum can fulfill this role among many other things. Specifically if there are those who are willing to be ears for those who want to speak, then I think things will help. I heard Sheila Hill, before she left, discuss the possibility of something called Safe Rooms. The idea was to have a symbol that people could put up that would be used to signify that one can speak openly about homosexuality with the occupants of the room without fear of repercussion or exposure. T his has been something that has crossed my mind. In the olden days to help show that there was a stop on the Underground Railroad, people put lamps outside their doors. This is reminiscent of keeping your lamps burning to prepare the coming of the Bridegroom, if I understand correctly. I think using that symbol, a lamp like Aladdin's, would be a good option for a Safe Room. I just don't know who to talk about this with.

I went to class as usual. We had class outside for Psychology of Religion. I n the Inklings course, I had a very enlightening time as we discussed practicing through pretending on how to make yourself better.

After lunch, I did some emails and stuff, and then went and took a nap. It was so warm that I thought I was going to die. I have had to go to the restroom about 8 times today and this has not helped me feel cool.

At dinner we had duck. I was rather impressed with the orange glaze. Following dinner a group went about town. I got upset with Holly, blew up at her, and then left the group and did exactly what she told me to do---precisely what had made me blow up. She told me to either stop bitching or do something about it. And I got mad. And then I did something about what I was bitching about. I went to the Castle Tavern by myself. I didn't know how to react to going in by myself. I went to the bar, ordered an Archers and Lemonade and sat down to relax. I found that I couldn't though. I had been out of line, and furthermore the person with whom I was out of line with was correct with her damned advice which didn't help my damned pride.

I have decided officially to become a religion major. I think this will be the most stress relieving thing for me to do. Furthermore I enjoy religion and theology. I hope things work out well. Dr. Hobbie seems positive about this also, which is very helpful

No comments: