Dear Jack,
The next day I woke up later than I planned. I went with Jeffrey, William, Dr. Hobbie and Dr. Ramsey. We walked to the Wallace Monument. The Wallace Monument is a gothic-looking like structure that stands atop of a wooded hill on the north end of Stirling. We climbed to the top of the structure. Several rooms were contained therein which had relevant historical stuff about William Wallace and the Scottish fight for independence. The thing I could not help but mock was that they were not independent but were apart of England. It seemed strange that so much was put into something that didn't work out. It would be like honoring Custer with a similar monument. Or King George for trying to keep the colonies. At the top, the wind blew heavily, but the view was wonderful. You could see the suspension bridge which crossed the Firth of Fourth, and Arthur's Seat in Edinburgh.
From there we went down to wait for a bus. Ramsey and Jeffrey got impatient and started walking to another bus stop. No sooner had they left, then a bus picked up William, Hobbie, and myself. It took us into the town via the north west route around the Castle base. At the bus stop, we met more of our crew, and later Ramsey and Jeffrey. We went into a cafe en mass and sat down for Fish and Chips. William let me borrow £5 until I could get back to Oxford where I had some more money.
After lunch I could not see the sense in going back to the Uni., or in going to Edinborough. Thus I accompanied Hobbie, Ramsey, and William up to the Castle. This time I did the guided tour with them, and then we walked around. It was nice to do this with people. I felt like this was a second chance.
Afterwards William and I ate at McDonald’s and then rode the bus back into the Uni. McDonald's is not great, but it is cheap. At the Uni, there were few people. I fell asleep. I awoke a time afterwards to people in the hall, but paid no heed. Eventually I got up again and tried to hunt people down to see what was going on. Jacob was with a group of girls, and a guy named Robo in the common room of Flat 1. I joined the group. We played cards and chatted for a good while. Then the other guys came home and things broke up.
I am again feeling that I do not fit in. I do not know if it is me trying to not fit in... or if I am indeed not fitting in. Regardless I don't feel comfortable around nearly all the guys, Jacob, the two Williamses, Jeffrey, and the professors excluded. I only wish I knew if I was reading into things or not.
I went to bed... or tried to sleep.
No comments:
Post a Comment