07 August 2003

Cambridge

Today we had breakfast early, as we were headed to Cambridge. The trip to Cambridge was two and a half hours on an un-air-conditioned bus. In Cambridge we took a Ramsey tour around the city. It is amazing to think how slow a group moves. I see why it took 40 years for Moses to take the Israelites through the wilderness. Following our timed excursion, we rode on a punting boat. I was up near the front near the punter. He was a hot-looking Frenchman who was very polite and soft spoken. It surprised me that he was not wearing underwear. I could tell this because as his pants got wet from punting, certain members became exposed. He chatted with Buz and I for the most part, although his discussion was meant for the whole boat. I did get the worst seat also, as I kept on getting sprinkled on by the punting stick. Buz tried to punt... for a beginner I guess it was not too bad. I am sure the river banks will forgive him.

After punting, I helped William Br. find McDonald’s. It wasn't too hard... but he was completely lost. We then walked around the market for a while. We stopped by the church... Saint Mary's and saw it, I'm told there is someone buried there by the name of James Day... I guess my secret of immortality has been found out... damn.

After that, we met up with the group and went to hear two theologians Brueggamen and Miller. They were involved in the book used in the Psalms class and in the translation of the NRSV. That was pretty interesting. From there, we walked around... no wait... McDonald’s came here in the day... not before. There wasn't enough time to eat before. The McDonald’s was in the basement of some building, and it had Roman ruins in the middle like a fountain garden. It was pretty cool.

After eating...for real this time, we walked to the place where the bus was to meet us. William wasn't feeling well, so we didn't go around a lot. The ride home was not too bad. There was a lot more socializing between the riders. William and I sang and chatted for a good time. We swapped ballads and nursery rhymes. I haven't enjoyed Nursery Rhymes since Joy and I used to tell them over the telephone in Ninth grade... oh the memories...

No comments: