20 November 2003

Soap Box Tonight

Dear Jack,
Last night we had a lot of people show up for the Spectrum meeting. I was impressed. 14 people. I had gone to the Piscataway Indian perfomrance and was one of 13 that showed up. I was rather embarassed for Presbyterian College. Afterwards I joined Whilden and Justin in Whilden's room. Then Wylie came over. I love hanging out with Justin. Paul Cantrell came in from Willie's room, and I was nervous, as he's the son of my priest, and I don't want her to hear gossip about me and Justin. I'd much rather talk to her about it rather than have her hear a possibly inflated story from her son. Ryan Guess-if-I-have-a-dicky came in. He rooms with Whilden. I've been convinced he is an ass for a long time. Last night Wylie and I both heard him say, "I wish the faggots would leave." I left of couse and went to get ready for the Spectrum thing. Jerk.

After Queer Eye, it was raining and I walked with Stetson and Caleb back to the dorm. I walked in the dorm, and all of a sudden felt sick, ran to the public bathroom, and threw up. I am not sure what prempted it, but so it happened. Upstairs I worked on some more music, and chatted with friends. I went to bed around 12:30.

Today I went to RIA and Philosophy as usual. In philosophy we stated talking about the insignificance of the Earth and its inhabitants in regards to the greater universe. Someone, Matt O'Leary doesn't see the point in small things we do compared to the greater galaxy. I disagree. I feel that we are given the opportunity by God to stand out and be His creation throughout the galaxy. We have heard of great people who seem like Giants, and to quote Newton, "if some of us seem to have gone farther than others, it's because we have been standing on the shoulders of giants." Newton himself was not of great respectablity to have been kept as noteworthy. Yet he has made his mark.

To quote roughly from Ecclesiasticus (Hekal Yeshua ben Sirach), Let us praise now famous men, and our fathers which begat us. Such as that did bear rule in their kingdoms, men renowned for their power, leaders of the people by their power and by thier knowledge, those who wrote verses in writing and composed musical tunes. All were honored in their times and were the pride of their generations. But some there are who did not leave a name for men to praise them. They are lost and forgotten as though they had never been born. Yet these too were men of great honor.

Jesus, taking away all divinity, should have been forgotten as a peasant preacher who was killed for blaspheming simple Jewish law by claming to be the messiah. He and his band of 11 (minus Judas), should have been forgotten. Did they know the impact they would have on the world? Did Sidhatra? Did Muhammed? Did Constantine? or George Washington? Did anyone in history think, "I will be the most remembered person in the world, and will highly influence the flow and structure of western civilization?" I doubt it. We cannot see the intire picture. We see in part dimly, as Paul says. That's why I cannot be satisfied with insignificance in humanity. Who knows who will be the mover and shaker which determines the course of our human history. The first person to step on Mars. The person who leads us into war or diplomacy with whatever we may find out there. How do we know if our philosophies will not stand and influence others not of our terral background? We are given such an opportunity at the prospect of the ever expanding frontier. When the frontier dies, that's when mediocrity sets in. There is something about the human nature that wants to go beyond, to create, to build, to prove, to do something. It is a Spark of Creation that stems from the first light that blazed when God said, "Let there be light." And it is in that light that I am putting my trust in mankind to propel us further into the future.

:: soap box breaks ::

Ok so today I sung an Eb... the ledger line on the top of the treble clef. That's high. I was shocked. It is a minior third higher than I've ever been noted to have sung. Mr. Bolden must be doing wonders for me.

I have church later, and then some work to work on... paper, study, etc.. I hope to see Justin sometime tonight, but it may not work out.

No comments: