26 February 2004

Ash Wednesday and Six Questions

Dear Jack,
Today is Ash Wednesday. I woke up and went to class. In Christian Doctrine we discussed the Resurrection of Christ. We discussed the "what if" of it not happening. Paul says that if Christ did not indeed rise from the grave, that we (Christians) are to be most pittied of all people for we have put our faith of salvation into a lie. What would we do if we learend that Christ, beyond a shadow of a doubt, was not raised on Easter? It got me thinking... If there is no resurrection, then I would not be sure there is a Christ. I would probably end up becoming Muslim or Jewish due to the major similarities those faiths have in common with Christianity. I enjoy Judaism, but Islam is definitely less ethnic. Thank God, however I believe that Christ was indeed raised from the dead. And thus I shall ever be a Happy Episcopalian.

After Christian Doctrine, I went to meet with Mtr. Joye about the class we're teaching on Anglicanism. It was a simple meeting, and so I went to lunch afterwards. GDH has a decent Tomato Basil soup. Then I had World Civ followed by me waiting for Form and Analysis to begin. About 20 minutes into waiting, I realized the class was going to be cancelled, so I came back to the room, and worked on my website. I then faxed my applicatoin to Kanuga, and went to Chapel Choir. After Chapel Choir I rode with William O. to All Saint's where we had an Ash Wednesday Mass. We had a lot of visitors from PC there, and Mtr. Joye actually gave a sermon. I then went to dinner with Audra and Caleb, and came back to the room where I studied till 7:30, then took a nap until 11:45. My goal is to study for Christian Doctrine and World Civ. as late as I can, as I have tests in both tomorrow.

Here is a poem that Dr. Hobbie found. I think it is very rhetorical, but would be curious if anyone had any insight into it. If so, email me at Chap_Day_PC@yahoo.com.

POETRY ENTRY
Six Easter Questions
by T. Barrie Shepherd

So just suppose,
for the sake of argument,
that there really was an actual hell,
would you be willing to go there,
forever,
in order to set free
someone you love, yor child,
say, or maybe your unblessed mother?
And if so, if you did that,
would any kind of God be just
to keep you there?
Would not hell itself
by such an act, by such a love
once entering its fiery gates,
be crumbled into cindered ash
forever?
Or if not hell,
would such a love not,
in the end, dethrone a grim,
implacable God of Justince
and thus abolish,
once for all,
all thrones anda ll dominions?
ANd if not... why?
And if not you...
then who?

No comments: